Abdul Kaleem of Deoria (U.P) often found news about people’s death due to electrocution by touching a faulty device. He used to wonder if he could do something about it. He realized that such deaths were mainly due to short-circuits. So he thought of a device that could alert the user if he had inserted a faulty device into a power plug or if there is some internal short-circuit. This device consists of a transformer, diodes, capacitor, an alarm, LED, one switch and one socket for output supply. In the first version, he had used Miniature Circuit Breaker (MCB) but that increased the cost, so in the second design he did not use it. The first design also had a fire alarm, which was removed in the second one. The device weighs 400g and is put near the main electricity board. One wire is connected to the meter while the other is earthed. When a faulty appliance with a short circuit is connected to any socket in the house, the alarm goes on. Once the appliance is unplugged, the alarm automatically goes off. It took him around six months to develop the device and cost him Rs. 700. He estimates, now the same would cost only Rs. 300.